Monday, November 10, 2014

Ideas are cheap

While discussing potential novel writing dreams with a friend, I voiced that my main barrier was the lack of a concrete novel idea. I have a bunch of these small ideas floating around, which would be great, for, say, a five line long blog posts. Short stories, and even scarier- a novel? Don't think so, buddy. But this friend, being the inspirational angel-like figure that he is (read it and rejoice), said that 'ideas are cheap'. This is an interesting statement; whether I agree entirely or not is another matter. I do believe that ideas are overused though- with so many creative outlets, I'm not sure if there are any original ideas left. And if this means that ideas are cheap, then I stand by the statement. Execution and implementation are the much harder steps in this process. It's so difficult to achieve flawlessness in these two areas.

A good idea wouldn't hurt though, however over/underused it may be. An idea with the potential to build out and to ultimately lead to that perfect execution, and that perfect novel.

No comments: